Friday, September 3, 2010

Mint

I'm very good at spending my money, as opposed to saving it up. I'm so good at spending that although I casually sell vintage clothes on eBay, I usually end up spending that money on eBay as well. Some gorgeous treasure is just a click away - there $10, $20, $30 gone in a couple of minutes.

For the most part, I use eBay because I'm sure it will have a treasure I'm after - which at the moment is 1950's rhinestone brooches, whereas trying to track one done in a Perth op-shop is a complete hit-and-miss process. And of course the eBay has a higher likelihood of it being mint - it would seem ridiculous to list primarily broken items on the platform, since they have less attraction to buyers anyway.

If you are in love with collecting certain bits and pieces - personally my addiction is to vintage brooches, scarfs, aprons and tea sets and if they aren't common op-shop loot, I'd definitely recommend eBay. It's more competitive price-wise too because you can negotiate the prices with the seller and there's a greater body of items listed.

BUT on my most recent op-shop tour with my faithful op-shop accomplice, it was a lot harder to appreciate online discoveries. I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking accessories wise, but on that day I was spoiled for options and found some items of good quality and great condition: what I believe to be Thai silver necklace and bracelet, a trent nathan scarf (pictured) a never used "Stratton" compact dated between 1950-1970 (pictured) and a few brooches to of course (pictured).


The excitement and delight at finding something unexpected was so much more thrilling, then any click and bid could be. I suppose though if I needed something it'd be so much more easier online, then hunting for something I just wanted.
So, I'll continue to spend between the two - online or on the street, it doesn't matter hugely as long as its mint like my 1956 Singer my parents found for me at a garage sale. Just Gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment