Monday, July 26, 2010

Obsession

This year I've become a complete devotee to Vintage Brooches. I wear them everywhere, with everything - on my uniform, on my scarves, canvas bags, on a ribbon head band etc... They capture attention, they can make a statement and/or serve decorative purposes, and brooches definately add an "umph" to an outfit.


You may think of (I certainly used to) as brooches being relegated to a ye olden day realm, worn by matronly looking women with severe buns in horid navy ankle length dresses.
Well, I can assure you they aren't: in recent years many popular costume jewellery brands have seen a revival in brooch manufacture: David Jones stocked names Lumiere and Angelique produce vintage inspired jewellery, with gorgeous brooches to match. While Urban Depot, Remedy and Harry and Gretel all on Oxford St, Leederville stock whimsical modern fashion brooches.


^ available from Remedy - cute is it not?


Vintage brooches on the other hand, are easily tracked down at op shops. The Good Sammy's on Rockeby rd and my personal favourite the Salvos (behind the Subiaco youth centre) have a plentiful supply of vintage brooches. Ebay is also good, but I suppose it lacks the discovery or "thrill" factor of hunting down a special item, which op-shopping frequently rewards you with.


Here are a few of my op-shop and ebay finds (all in the last few months !)


(Sterling SilverMarcasite Brooch) (1980s Butterfly Brooch) (Late 1960's Porcelain Brooch)

Have you got any creative ideas on how to wear brooches ? Please Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment